Wednesday 23 October 2013

Get to know you interview ~ Emma Chase






  1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
When I was thirteen years old. Growing up, my closest friends were very talented – one was a pianist, another a dancer, a gymnast, a basketball player. Making up stories and writing was my “thing” – something I could do well that I loved.

  1. How long does it take you to write a book?
About four months. But I’m a terrible procrastinator – I work better with a deadline looming over my head.

  1. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Get the kids off to school and the husband off to work, then write for a few hours. Run errands and take care of household responsibilities in the afternoon, squeeze in some Twitter/Facebook/Goodreads time if possible,  then write some more. Get the kids to their activities, get homework and dinner done, and once everyone is down for the night, write a little more (if I don’t pass out from exhaustion first).

  1. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I write best when I’m alone in the house, so there’s no possibility of interruption or distraction. I also pace and say dialogue out loud, which I imagine looks pretty crazy – hence the preference for solitude.

  1. How do you plan to publish? (self or publisher)
I like working with a publisher. It’s been a very positive experience.  I enjoy the whole collaborative process, particularly in terms of editing and cover design.

  1. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I think it’s important to be as realistic as possible with the details of my books. When describing a setting like New York City or the inner workings of a profession like investment banking.  If that information doesn’t come from personal experience, then I research it online (thank you Google!).
As for ideas…most of my ideas come to me when I’m listening to music, while running on the treadmill or driving in the car.

  1. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
Tangled was the first book I’ve written. I was in my thirties (purposely vague) when I finished it.

  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Reading, of course! I also like to jog or go for walks in the woods with the dogs.  If I have extra time, I enjoy cooking – trying new dishes - and taking care of our vegetable garden.

  1. What does your family think of your writing?
My husband is extremely supportive and tries to keep the kids at bay if I’m in the middle of a scene or on a deadline. My daughter can’t wait to be old enough to read my books, though as her mother, I’m not sure if she’ll ever be old enough to read them.  And my son tries to get me to do his writing homework for him. He says, “You can write this better than me – it’s what you do!”
  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
That characters really do take on a life of their own. There are times when I have certain plot points in mind, places I want to go, but when I sit down to write it, the characters just don’t want to go there. They have other ideas, and what’s funny is the finished product usually ends up better that way, than what I had envisioned first.

  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written Tangled, Twisted, the short story Holy Frigging Matrimony and I’m currently writing book #3 in the Tangled Series, Tamed.  Their each my favourite in their own way – it’s like trying to pick a child you like best! 
That being said, there’s definitely a special place in my heart for Tangled – because it was the first. It’s a unique, fun take on romance and I love Drew as the narrator – that he grows in the story, but still keeps those irreverent, charming qualities that make him, him.
  1. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Write every day. Even if you’re not in the mood. Even if it’s just a sentence or two. You’ll be surprised at how much you can actually accomplish and it’s a great way to keep writer’s block at bay.
  1. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Yes, I get tweets, emails and messages from my readers everyday. It’s great hearing from them and I try to respond to every one. They tell me how much they’ve enjoyed my book and characters and sometimes inquire about future projects.  
  1. Do you like to create books for adults?
Absolutely. I think there are some great life lessons in Tangled, particularly for young women – but because of the language and subject matter, I think all of my books are strictly for adult eyes only.

  1. What do you think makes a good story?
Interesting, honest, humorous characters and a solid plot. A little suspense, a little drama to keep things interesting and a very satisfying ending that makes the time a reader has invested in the story worthwhile.

  1. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
When I was very young, I wanted to be a lawyer or a judge. But I always imagined writing books “on the side” – as a hobby or a second job.





No comments:

Post a Comment