Tuesday 2 July 2013

Lets get to know Amy Martin



  1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?  
 
Probably when I was about ten years old. I was an avid reader, and I wanted to be able to write books like the ones I’d enjoyed so much. 
 
  1. How long does it take you to write a book?  
 
It varies. Anywhere from one month to six months depending upon the complexity of what I’m writing about. 
 
  1. What is your work schedule like when you're writing? 
 
It’s crazy. I work full-time, so writing and editing gets crammed into my non-work hours and weekends, so I don’t really have a set schedule. 
 
 
 
  1. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? 
 
I seem to write better with my cat sitting on my lap. She doesn’t always cooperate. 
 
  1. How do you plan to publish? 
 
Right now, I’m exclusively self-publishing in digital and print. 
 
  1. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? 
 
I’ll see something on TV or overhear a conversation, and that plants a seed. So, I start asking myself, “What if this? What if that?” Anything I don’t know about the topic I’m exploring, I research, both on the web and through books and journal articles. 
 
  1. When did you write your first book and how old were you? 
 
I wrote my first “book” when I was ten and in the fourth grade. I wrote my first book as an adult about ten years ago (I’m still working on that one). 
 
  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?  
 
I like to watch sports, hang out with my husband and cat, and read. I also spend way too much time on the Internet and I love to sleep. 
 
  1. What does your family think of your writing? 
 
They’re very supportive and proud. 
 
  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? 
 
I surprised myself that I could learn to format and design a book for self-publishing. I was really daunted by that prospect when I wanted to publish my first book, and I felt a great sense of accomplishment when I published the book and it was actually readable (format-wise). 
 
  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 
 
I have two books on the market, In Your Dreams and As You Wake, and I love them both. 
 
  1. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they? 
 
Read, and read widely. If you want to write YA, then read a ton of YA books, but make sure you read things written for other age groups and in a wide variety of genres. Writers need to read other writers and study their styles, and they need to try to do some writing every day. 
 
 
 
 
  1. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say? 
 
I do hear from my readers. They thank me for writing the books and want to know when I have other books coming out. As far as the In Your Dreams series, I’ve seen some comments from readers about how they like Kieran because he seems like such a normal guy and not an unattainable alpha-male. 
 
  1. Do you like to create books for adults?  
 
I haven’t written a book for adults yet, but I’m hoping to in the future. 
 
  1. What do you think makes a good story? 
 
I think a good story has a compelling plot and characters that grab you from the first page and don’t let go until the end. A good story is one that you don’t want to put down. 
 
  1. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?  
 
I’ve pretty much wanted to be a writer my whole life, but when I was a little girl, I also wanted to be the first female Major League Baseball player. Being a writer is much easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment