Tuesday 11 June 2013

EK Blair Interview


Where are you from?

 

I am from the great state of Oklahoma! Sooner born and Sooner bred!

 

 

 When and why did you begin writing?

 

My husband had been encouraging me to write for a few years. I never considered myself a writer because, well, I had never written anything. This past Christmas, my father took me out for ice cream, and he encouraged me to take a leap of faith and just give it a try. So, I just gave it a shot!

 

 When did you first consider yourself a writer?

 

When I had a few chapters written and it actually started sounding like a story! I was so excited when the details started weaving together beautifully.

 

 Do you have a specific writing style?

 

I am not a planner. I have no idea what each chapter will hold. I fly by the seat of my pants!

 

 How did you come up with the title?

 

I was driving in my car listening to the Leona Lewis version of the song Stop Crying Your Heart Out. She sings about a woman whose stars are fading away. It is a beautiful song, one that reminds me of my main character, Candace. She begins to lose herself when a brutal attack leaves her completely damaged. She begins to feel as if she is fading away. That is how the title Fading was born.

 

 Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

 

No matter how far you fall, there will always be tiny shards of hope you can grasp onto. It is a matter of how hard you are willing to hold on.

 

 How much of the book is realistic?

 

I have put in an extensive amount of research to ensure I am telling the most honest story I know how. There is no unneeded drama in my book. It is raw and real.

 

 Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

 

No. The story of Candace just came to me one day, and I knew it was a story that needed to be told.

 

 

 If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

 

I respect the amount of time and effort Sylvain Reynard puts into his books. The stories are beautifully told with intellect and passion. The amount of research he invests is unbelievable. I would love to meet him one day and pick his brain!

 

 

 What are your current projects?

 

I am currently finishing up Fading, and I am in the beginning stages of writing a companion novella for the book. I also have a third book in the works, which will be a genre detour from Fading.

 

 Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

 

Gina Smith is my secret weapon. She has been with me from the very beginning, helping me shape and mold my stories. She is always there for me to guide me, support me, and keep me on track. She has become a dear friend, and I plan on keeping her with me for years to come.

 

 If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your

latest book?

 

Ask me this when the reviews start coming in! Haha!

 

 Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

 

My current book Fading has been especially difficult to write. There have been many tears while writing Candace’s story. The book deals with an extremely sensitive subject matter, and to live in this girl’s head has been very upsetting and tiresome at times.

 

 Who designed the cover?

 

I purchased the photo on my cover from the extremely talented Russian photographer Maxim Malevich, and Sarah Hansen from Okay Creations put the finishing touches on it. I cannot wait to reveal it soon!!

 

 Do you have any advice for other writers?

 

There is no right or wrong method for the writing process. Write for your yourself and believe in your story and your characters!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment