Thursday 13 June 2013

Getting to know Danielle Taylor





1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I don't think there was a 'tadaa!' moment... It's more a case of doing what I've always done and someone telling me my work is good enough to be out there.

2. How long does it take you to write a book?

Depends. A novella, a month or two. Full novel? Well, I wrote my YA novel Flux (coming out in 2014 with REUTS as Ellie Carstens) in just two months.

3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I write when I can - I carry around a notebook and pen so that when inspiration strikes, I jot down my ideas. I'm a stay at home mum, so my days are fairly flexible.

4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I edit as I write. It's a curse and a gift!

5. Do you mean how do my books get published?

I self-published my adult novellas on Amazon. REUTS Publications has signed my YA novel Flux.

6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Pops into my head :)

7. When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I wrote poems at about six or seven, I think.

8. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Travel, explore the world, learn about cultures, people, cuisines. Read, spend time with my husband and little one.

9. What does your family think of your writing?

My husband is my family and he's bloody proud!

10. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

Covers need to be PERFECT.

11. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I've written a few - not all published yet though. It's a tie between Intimate Strangers and Captive at Christmas.

12. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Read. Write, write about anything and everything, and read more.

13. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

Some, yes. They mostly say how my stories touch them, help them open their eyes, and that's exactly what I was going for in the first place!

14. Do you like to create books for adults?

YES! It's so challenging to write something sexy without being vulgar. I thrive on challenges. In the same aspect, I love writing YA because it's a different sort of challenge - to get about 90,000 words with NO sex.

15. What do you think makes a good story?

Anything can make a good story if it's told well.

16. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?


An astronaut  - yep!

No comments:

Post a Comment