Wednesday 26 June 2013

Get to know - Mia Sheridan


Get to know you  interview

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I started writing a blog after I lost my baby daughter, and made it available to family and friends. Several people told me that I should write a book. I wasn't ready to write a book about that experience just yet. But I decided I did love to write and would try my hand at writing a romance novel. They're my escape, and who knows the value of escape better than someone who has been through something extremely difficult? Evie and Jake's story came to me almost immediately. :)

How long does it take you to write a book?

About eight weeks.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Well, I'm a sahm and so it's my husband's work schedule that really changes when I write a book!! :D He is great about taking the kids out and giving me a quiet house to write in when I'm feeling inspired.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

Hmmm…. I said this somewhere else, but I have to be showered and dressed before I can sit down and write! I think it has something to do with feeling as confident as possible before channeling my characters. I'm not sure… But I've tried to write in my p.j.'s first thing in the morning and it just doesn't work!

How do you plan to publish?

I'm self-published now and I plan on keeping it this way for the foreseeable future. I love being able to do it on my own time table, and I love being able to set my book at a low price for my readers! Being published takes some of that control away… But who knows what the future holds.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Nowhere specific as of yet! Just out of my crazy head. :D

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

Leo is my first book… I  literally had never even written a short story before writing Leo.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Anything creative! I love learning how to do new things and challenging myself. I always have some project or another going on...

What does your family think of your writing?

They're great - really supportive and really excited.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

How much of yourself goes into writing a book. I don't know how a writer can avoid that and so I have to believe that it's true for all authors. I never realized what a personal experience it is, even though you're writing about made-up people! :)

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Leo and Leo's Chance. I have to say that Leo's Chance is my favorite, simply because I found Leo to be such a beautifully damaged character and I loved getting into his head. Evie was a fighter in her own way too, but it came easier for her – her strength was born of beauty and gentleness. Leo struggled and fought for everything he had and so his journey was more poignant for me.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Sit down and write! I know that sounds silly, but honestly, it's what I did and I never thought I would write a novel, ever! Some days I only wrote a paragraph and other days, whole chapters would flow out. I also left lots of blank spaces that said things like, "Insert sweet, child-like fairytale story here, that gives message about struggle," just so I could keep moving forward even when I couldn't figure out how to write certain parts in that moment! Also, write what you like! If you like it and it resonates with you, it will with others too!

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

Yes!! That is the BEST part of this whole experience. I have gotten messages that have honestly touched my heart very deeply and that I've read over and over. The ones I love the best are when readers trust me enough to tell me their story and why Leo affected them. I feel humbled and grateful when I hear from those people.

Do you like to create books for adults?

Definitely! I love to give a well-rounded view of the couples I write about, and part of that is the passion!

What do you think makes a good story?

A book-boyfriend that you can fall in love with, a likable heroine who doesn't frustrate you and who you think is WORTHY of your book boyfriend, ;) and a storyline that keeps MOVING. 

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

            I wanted to be a magician. Seriously! How weird is that?? I don't even know what that says about me or why I'm saying that publicly! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment